Along comes a spider! We say ciao to the new FIAT 124 Spider writes Geraldine Herbert
1) The original FIAT 124 Spider debuted at the Turin Motor Show in November 1966.
2) The new car is based on Mazda’s MX-5 so Fiat has essentially taken the bones of the MX-5, the chassis and interior and added it’s own exterior design and engine.
3) Powering this diminutive Fiat is a turbocharged 1.4-litre four-cylinder that produces a very respectable 140 bhp and is available with a six-speed manual transmission or a six-speed automatic transmission.
4) The 124 Spider is 11.43cms longer than the Mazda.
5) Fiat are being tight lipped about the pricing but we would expect it to be priced similarly,maybe a little higher than the Mazda MX-5.
6) The exterior pays homage to the original, touches such as the style and position of the LED headlamps, and the hexagonal upper grille, both draw heavily from the details of the classic roadster.
7) A feature of the original Spider was the easy-to-operate soft top and Fiat promise that the retractable roof in this one “requires minimal force.”
8) Fiat UK say the 124 Spider will go on sale here during the second half of 2016.
20th November, 2015