With more than a million cars failing their MOT every year it makes sense to give your car the best chance of passing and to make the whole experience as stress free as possible! Suzanne Keane has some tips
The top reasons for vehicles failing include damaged tyres, exhaust problems, worn-out windscreen wipers, defective headlights and broken brake lights but with a little preparation you can give your car the best chance of passing.
- Get your headlights set. This is a 10 minute job for someone with the right equipment
- Ensure you have enough fuel and engine oil
- Get the hose out and clean! Make sure you hose down the underneath of the car too.
- Checking the brake lights work
- Check the thread on your tyres – anything below 1.6mm will fail the test and if it’s less than 2mm you need to change them a.s.a.p. Don’t forget to check your spare wheel too!
- Check your oil & coolant levels
- Hoover and wipe down the dashboard inside the car and give your windows a good scrub!
- Make sure your wiper blades are working, and don’t forget the rear wiper
- Clean your number plate
- Check all seats and seatbelts are in good working order
3rd May, 2017