My Car won’t Start? Suzanne Keane offers a few tips to help you discover why
You’re running late, it’s raining, you finally make it into your car and turn the key and nothing happens…. The most obvious reason is a dead battery but if a quick jump start doesn’t fix the problem it could be one of the issues below!
This information won’t help you to fix the problem but it may help you to understand what has gone wrong.
There are 3 major reasons for a car not to start:
1. Fuel isn’t mixing right
2. No Compression and
3. Lack of spark
1. Bad Fuel Mix
- This can be caused by running out of fuel – so check the gauge, when did you last fill up (incase your fuel gauge is broken)?
- You could also be lacking air – maybe a hose is blocked?
- Faulty fuel system – supply too much or too little
- Dirty fuel – could be impurities such as water in the tank
2. No Compression
- Worn piston rings
- Intake or exhaust valves aren’t sealing correctly
- Hole in the cylinder
3. No spark
- Worn spark plugs or plug leads
- Bad ignition timing – spark is too early or late in the cycle
18th February, 2013