We still have a long while to go before we see any signs of summer weather so take a few minutes and give your car a little bit of TLC to ensure it makes it through to summer (that is if we get a summer) writes Suzanne Keane
1. Tyres – check your tread depth! If you don’t know how get someone else to do it for you. Also check your tyre pressure. They are the only thing between you and the road so make sure they’re in tip top condition.
2. Brakes – Any loss in brake power or any strange noises can be a sign of trouble so get it checked out immediately. Wet and Icy roads make it more difficult to stop in an emergency so you need to give yourself every chance possible.
3. Coolant/Antifreeze – The coolant in your car not only stops the engine from over-heating but if you top it up with water rather than coolant it can freeze which can cause pipes or even your engine to crack so make sure you’ve put in plenty of antifreeze.
4. Wiper blades – It can be hard enough to see where you’re going in bad weather without the pain of a streaky windscreen. Wiper blades aren’t expensive so change them when needed. Repairs to your car if you can’t see where you’re going could be much more expensive! Also keep your washer bottle topped up and use plenty of screenwash to stop it from freezing.
5. Wash – Grit, salt and general road dirt can eat away at your paintwork and the underneath of the car so make sure to wash it off regularly. If you don’t want to brave the cold to wash it yourself there are plenty of places that will do it for you!
6. Garage – If you have one USE IT! After a house your car is possibly your most expensive purchase so why do we keep them outside when the garage is usually full of useless junk or items that are worth much less than a car?
3rd February, 2014